Our wonderful book clubs will continue to “meet” online via Zoom. If you have not joined us yet for a meeting and are interested, please email [email protected] and let her know which club or clubs you are interested in joining. You are always welcome to pick and choose between the clubs to discuss the books you like the best! Thank you for your loyalty to Books & Books and please stay safe and be well,
Classics: April 8, 2021
Appointment in Samarra by John O’Hara
Mystery: April 15, 2021
The Alienist by Caleb Carr
Original: April 29, 2021
Frederick Douglass by David W. Blight
Zoom Book Club Best Practices:
1) Find a quiet place in your home where you are less likely to be interrupted.
2) Use the “mute” function on the screen when you are not speaking in case unexpected noises occur in your background.
3) If you need to move around with your device, you can also mute your picture temporarily. It is the option next to the audio mute.
4) As the moderator, I will try to be sure everyone gets a chance to speak. If you have made a point, please allow others to answer to the same topic before moving on to another one.
5) To be sure all get a chance to respond and not accidentally interrupt, please raise your hand, either to the camera or using the “raise hand” option on your screen. This option is on the bottom left of the screen if you are using a phone or a tablet. If you are on a computer, you have to first click on Participants and then click on Raise Hand.
6) After we have had 30-40 minutes of good book discussion, feel free to bring up related topics of other books, films, current events, etc. Thanks!!
Well–Read Black Girl Book Club
Well–Read Black Girl is an online community and in-real-life book club hosted nationwide. In 2019, the American Booksellers Association partnered with Well–Read Black Girl to bring book club meetings to independent bookstores with the goal of amplifying Black women writers. If you’re interested in joining the Miami Chapter, please email well[email protected]