- This event has passed.
June 15, 2020 @ 7:00 pm
Virtual Author Series: Brit Bennett & Angela Flournoy
Books & Books and Miami Book Fair present…
“AN EVENING WITH BRIT BENNETT & ANGELA FLOURNOY”
The Vanishing Half
Monday, June 15, 7pm
LIVE via CROWDCAST
About the Book:
From The New York Times-bestselling author of The Mothers, a stunning new novel about twin sisters, inseparable as children, who ultimately choose to live in two very different worlds, one black and one white.
The Vignes twin sisters will always be identical. But after growing up together in a small, southern black community and running away at age sixteen, it’s not just the shape of their daily lives that is different as adults, it’s everything: their families, their communities, their racial identities. Many years later, one sister lives with her black daughter in the same southern town she once tried to escape. The other secretly passes for white, and her white husband knows nothing of her past. Still, even separated by so many miles and just as many lies, the fates of the twins remain intertwined. What will happen to the next generation, when their own daughters’ storylines intersect?
Weaving together multiple strands and generations of this family, from the Deep South to California, from the 1950s to the 1990s, Brit Bennett produces a story that is at once a riveting, emotional family story and a brilliant exploration of the American history of passing. Looking well beyond issues of race, The Vanishing Half considers the lasting influence of the past as it shapes a person’s decisions, desires, and expectations, and explores some of the multiple reasons and realms in which people sometimes feel pulled to live as something other than their origins.
As with her New York Times-bestselling debut The Mothers, Brit Bennett offers an engrossing page-turner about family and relationships that is immersive and provocative, compassionate and wise.
About the Author:
About the Moderator:
HOW TO WATCH A VIRTUAL EVENT ON CROWDCAST
- You will need either a computer, a smartphone, or a tablet.
- Crowdcast is a website that you can access with any web browser. You can use Chrome (recommended), Firefox, Safari, Opera, or Edge as your web browser.
- When you access the Crowdcast link for this event, please just enter your email and create a Crowdcast account. That’s it. That’s all you need to do.
- Once your account is created, you will be brought to the event’s landing page. The timer on the screen shows you when the event is scheduled to begin.
- Just log in using your email address on the date and time specified.
- During the event, you can ask questions in the “Ask A Question” box at the bottom of the screen.
- You can also vote for other questions that you would most like to see answered using the up and down arrows to the left of each question.
- You’ll be able to see the author onscreen, but the author, moderator, and Books & Books staff member cannot see you.