- This event has passed.
June 9, 2020 @ 7:00 pm
Virtual Author Series: Aspen Matis & Deepak Chopra™
Books & Books and Miami Book Fair present…
“AN EVENING WITH ASPEN MATIS & DEEPAK CHOPRA™”
Your Blue is Not My Blue: A Missing Person Memoir
Moderated by: KELLY SULLIVAN WALDEN
Tuesday, June 9, 7pm
FREE & LIVE via CROWDCAST
About the Book:
From the author of the highly acclaimed 2015 memoir, Girl in the Woods, which has been optioned for a scripted TV series and inspired Lena Dunham to tell her own rape story, comes Your Blue is Not My Blue: A Missing Person Memoir. This new book is about what happened as she was writing Girl in the Woods and picks up where it left off. Aspen and her new husband migrate to New York City, so that she can follow her dream of becoming a writer. She finds their frugal life endearing and their marriage seems like any other until one day Justin gives her a kiss before heading out to attend a friend’s funeral and never returns. Aspen chronicles her struggles writing a book on deadline where it’s “hero” is now missing (she starts drinking heavily, has no money, she eventually lands in the hospital after spending 119 consecutive hours awake, etc.) and exposes the seduction of playing the victim. It’s a poetic and probing inquiry into the nature of marriage and family, as well as a story of creative awakening.
About the Author:
ASPEN MATIS is the author of the critically acclaimed memoir Girl in the Woods, published by HarperCollins in 2015. Called “a powerful read” by O, The Oprah Magazine, the book made the Guardian’s annual top fifty list. The New York Times called Matis “a hero. Her short-form writing has been published in the New York Times, the Atlantic, Tin House, Psychology Today, Salon, and Marie Claire. She now lives in New York City, where she visits cute cafés, writes madly, and studies philosophy, following the threads of her fascination. To learn more, visit www.aspen-matis.com.
About the Conversant:
About the Moderator:
HOW TO WATCH A VIRTUAL EVENT ON CROWDCAST
- You will need either a computer, a smartphone, or a tablet.
- Crowdcast is a website that you can access with any web browser. You can use Chrome (recommended), Firefox, Safari, Opera, or Edge as your web browser.
- When you access the Crowdcast link for this event, please just enter your email and create a Crowdcast account. That’s it. That’s all you need to do.
- Once your account is created, you will be brought to the event’s landing page. The timer on the screen shows you when the event is scheduled to begin.
- Just log in using your email address on the date and time specified.
- During the event, you can ask questions in the “Ask A Question” box at the bottom of the screen.
- You can also vote for other questions that you would most like to see answered using the up and down arrows to the left of each question.
- You’ll be able to see the author onscreen, but the author, moderator, and Books & Books staff member cannot see you.