- This event has passed.
Grove Heritage Day in Honor of Miami’s 125th Anniversary!
Miami is celebrating a big birthday this summer and its original neighborhood is taking us back in history for COCONUT GROVE HERITAGE DAY, an experiential, interactive street fair that encourages the community to dress in fun costumes depicting their favorite era as they frolic through Coconut Grove.
The celebration of Coconut Grove’s role as Miami’s legacy village will take place on Saturday, July 31, 2021 culminating a week of events honoring Miami’s 125th anniversary of incorporation. All five Miami commission districts will hold their own celebrations throughout the week. GROVE HERITAGE DAY will strive to be the grand finale.
Coconut Grove was founded in 1873 predating Miami’s incorporation on July 28, 1896. Unique to the Grove is the still evident and living history of early African-American and Bahamian culture.
Event attendees can participate in a number of activities as part of GROVE HERITAGE DAY including:
A panel of leading historians on the history of Coconut Grove:
- An interactive “living history” series with actors and legacy family descendants in period attire participating in re-enactments and presentations, interacting with patrons throughout the day
- Ambulating performers acting continuously throughout the event route, including actors in 3-5 minute theatrical vignettes, modern and African dance groups, junkanoo, marching band, stilt-walkers, drum circle and representation of King Mango Strut
- Student art exhibition sponsored by the Dade Heritage Trust, themed “What Coconut Grove-Miami Means To Me”
- Graphic presentations of noted historic figures, places and events on freestanding backdrops or installations throughout the event sites and route Antique car installation, motorcade crawl and exhibition
- Curated craft-novelty and food vendors
Books to Celebrate Miami’s 125th Anniversary